Strawberry & Rhubarb Pie Recipe
Combine the sweetness of strawberries with the tart of rhubarb in one of the best summer pie recipes.
I absolutely love the flavour combination of strawberry and rhubarb. It’s sweet with a tart edge and is perfect for all types of desserts from cakes, tarts, muffins, jam, to my my favourite – pie. Juicy and aromatic, it sits well at any summer event, whether it’s a picnic or simple evening in. Best of all, Strawberry and Rhubarb pie is easy to make and ideal for using up strawberries that might not look their best.
Makes 1 Pie
3 cups of Strawberries, cleaned and halved
2 cups of Rhubarb, cut into 1/2″ pieces
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup Flour (or cornstarch)
1 pack of Shortcrust pastry dough (or make your own pie pastry)
Beaten egg (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F / 180°C / 160°C fan assisted oven.
2. Divide the Pie pastry into two, then on a floured surface, roll out one part to create the base of the pie. The diameter should be as wide as the base plus sides of your pie pan with a little extra for overhang. Place the dough into your dish and press it into any edges and around the top of the dish. I find it’s easiest to move the dough once it’s rolled out by rolling it up onto your rolling pin and then unrolling it over your dish.
3. The way I’ve created the top crust of this pie: Roll out the second part of the dough so that it’s just a little wider than the diameter of your dish. Place the dish on top and cut all the way around. Next, take a circular cookie cutter and pinch it into a long oval shape then cut out pieces in the middle of the crust so that they look like an abstract flower. I actually think the design looks like a Sand Dollar too which might be a fun way of designing a dessert for a beach bbq!
5. Trim the edge of the bottom pastry so that it reaches about a quarter inch past the top of the pie dish. It will shrink as it cooks so be careful not to trim it right up to the edge.
6. Roll the top pastry piece onto your rolling pin then unroll it over the top of the pie. Brush the pastry with beaten egg if you wish to give a more golden colour to the crust when you bake it but that step is completely optional.
7. Bake for 50-55 min in the lowest rack of your oven and allow to cool completely before serving. This dish is simple and is perfectly paired with a dollop of cream or vanilla ice cream.