8 Gifts that Gardeners want for Christmas
Green thumbs weigh in on what they hope is waiting for them under the tree
Many gardeners are modest folk and will insist that they don’t want anything for Christmas! If this is what you’re dealing with in your own friends and family circle then have so fear — I’ve done your homework for you. This week I asked gardeners on my Facebook page what they’d be happy to have as a gift and this is what they said.
1. Berry Bushes
This was the most popular answer with people saying they’d like more berry bushes and perennial plants. Buying potted fruit plants and trees is the perfect gift since your gardener friend can plant them out at any time of the year. Here’s some ideas with excellent ratings:
- Black Raspberry Plants – will grow in warmer climates as well as temperate
- Blueberry bush – this ‘Bluecrop’ is one of the most popular varieties available
- Blueberry plants “Pink Lemonade” – these blueberries are actually pink!
- MY PICK: Miracle Berry Plant – eating the berries from this plant will change the flavor of anything sour to incredibly sweet! The actual berries are hard to come by and usually quite expensive making this bush very special indeed.
2. More growing space please
No matter how small or large our gardens are, we always want a bit more space. You don’t have to buy more land to give your pal a larger growing area though — give them the gift of vertical gardening. With these ideas you can grow more plants in less space.
- Stackable Strawberry Planter – perfect for growing strawberries and herbs
- 7 Pocket Hanging Garden – Pot your plants into a row of vertical pockets
- MY PICK: HUGE 5 Tier GreenStalk Planter – A bit on the pricier end but I have one of these myself and love it!
3. Garden Birds
Gardeners don’t just love the plants in their gardens, they love the animals that live there too. Of all of them, wild birds are the most popular and feeding, providing shelter, and watching them is enjoyed by most.
- Red Barn Bird Feeder – this is the one pictured above. Gorgeous!
- Vintage style Hummingbird Feeder – with a tinted ‘Mason Jar’ look to it
- MY PICK: The Audubon Backyard Birdwatcher – an excellent book for identifying the birds visiting your backyard
4. Practical tools
Those who spend time working with their hands know the importance of good tools. Some of the people who commented on what they’d like for Christmas mentioned leather gardening gloves, galvanized steel watering cans, and even wheelbarrows.
- Ladies Leather Gardening Gloves – (pictured) Attractive, durable, and practical
- Antique Copper Watering Can – not only beautiful but very useful
- MY PICK: Traditional Bypass Pruning Shears – every gardener will at one time or another get a tool set for Christmas. Most of the time they’re kind of mediocre and aren’t used. The not so obvious tool to get instead is a good pair of secateurs (pruning shears).
5. Seeds & Bulbs
You seriously cannot go wrong with buying a gardener seeds. They’re great stocking stuffers, or entire sets of them like the one pictured above make a great present on its own.
- Heirloom Vegetable Seed Set – over 10,000 seeds in this variety pack
- A Complete Spring Garden – 50 Bulbs for 50 Days of Continuous Blooms
- MY PICK: Medicinal Herb Seed Assortment – herbs and flowers that benefit wildlife but that also be used in herbal remedies
People who spend time in the garden deserve some skin-loving indulgence. Aromatherapy candles, handmade soaps, and garden scented products help heal and clean the skin and relax the body.
- Botanical Soap Sampler Set – Nine beautifully scented and packaged soaps
- Vanilla Rose Aromatherapy Candle – all natural candle scented with essential oils
- MY PICK: Garden Lovers Pamper Set – a set of natural lavender and rosemary products along with a ‘Greenhouse’ scented candle
7. Succulent Pots & Plants
Often given only as housewarming gifts, plants and planters are perfect any time of the year for plant lovers. Of all the plants out there at the moment, succulents are some of the most popular. They come in dozens of varieties and will happily make a home in most planters.
- Ceramic Elephant Succulent Flower Pots – pictured above
- Succulent Terrarium Kit – perfect DIY gift along with the plants below
- MY PICK: Succulent Plant Collection – a stunning collection of 20 succulent plants
8. A Gardener
This is an answer that made me laugh out loud each time it was given. Gardening is a passion but some of the work is hard. Digging, weeding, moving compost, mowing the lawn, the list goes on. If garden help isn’t in your budget, here’s some amusing gifts for gardeners (and their partners).
- Sorry This Guy Is Taken By A Sexy GARDENER Mug – self explanatory 🙂
- Famous gardener Edward C. Smith – The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible, Kindle Edition
- MY PICK: Playmobil Gardener with Hedge Trimmer – so your gardener wants a gardener? Here’s one!
Find Lovely Greens also on: Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest
Browse Lovely Greens handmade soap and beauty products here.