Making Wild Rose Water

Use rose petals to make your own natural Rose Water. As a facial toner it soothes inflammation, tightens pores, and smells amazing #beauty
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for your continued support of this site!

Rose Water has been used for generations as a natural astringent, helping to tighten the skin and reduce redness and inflammation. It’s also very gentle and can be used on most skin types which is why it’s often used in beauty preparations such as creams and lotions.

Rosa Rugosa and a white Rosa Canina – both are types of wild roses

Unlike Rose essential oil, it doesn’t take hundreds of kilos of petals to produce and I’ve also found that it’s relatively simple to make at home. Whether spritzing it directly on your face or blending it into an emulsion, this natural extract is one that more women should consider making and using themselves.

At the end of the process, Rose Water should smell faintly of roses but if you want even a little of the fragrance to remain intact then it’s best to start with old fashioned or wild roses. So many of the modern cultivars have been bred for their beauty rather than their scent which makes me wonder what else they’ve lost in the process. Though it’s getting later in the summer you’ll still be able to find wild roses blooming in hedges, parks, and wasteland. Pick the petals direct from the flower, leaving the hip and flower’s reproductive parts in place. It could be that it’s already been pollinated and that you could return in the autumn to pick them for rose-hip syrup or tea.

To make Rose Water, place the petals into a pan and then fill it with water (preferably distilled) until they are just covered. Place a lid on the pan and heat on low until most of the colour has faded from the petals. It will take about twenty minutes and whatever you do, keep the water from coming to a simmer. Heat can destroy the flower’s beneficial properties and colour.

After the petals have paled considerably, strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer and compost the remaining rose petals. Pour the Rose Water into a sterilised jar, allow it to cool, and then keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to use it. Kept this way, it will keep for about a month if not two.

Rose water can be used on it’s own by dabbing it on with a cotton pad or spritzing it on with with a mini spray bottle. It can provide immediate freshness and a reduction in redness and inflammation. I’ve also been experimenting with using it in creams and am amazed how the beautiful pink colour translates into the emulsion so well. I plan on sharing some recipes for creams in the coming weeks.

1. thank you very much for your post. I am wainting impatient your new entrances about cream

2. Mrs C says:

Thank you for the post, I am going to have a go as I love rose water but have never dared try to make it myself xx

Excited about your creams recipes too as most commercial creams irritate my skin.

3. gorgeous post πŸ™‚

4. CJ says:

Rose water sounds lovely. I've got a many petalled rose in the garden, so I might try this one while it is flowering. Another great post Tanya, I'm looking forward to hearing about how you make the cream.

5. I thought it was some complicated extraction method of sorts, it looks simple!

6. Thank you for this post and recipe, I love the simple things in life!

7. elaine says:

This is something we used to make as kids – is it any wonder that I have a divine complexion – ha ha!

8. flowerlady says:

Now I have a dilemma, your rose water sounds lovely. But I only have so many rose petals and I was going to try and make Rose petal preserve this year.Having never tried either I am not sure which to try

9. Emily says:

I can't wait for the cream recipes!

Emily
    eageremily.blogspot.com

10. Sara says:

Such a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing!
    Xx

11. Reunata says:

I'll definitely try to make this rose water! Will all kind of roses work equally? Is there any other flowers that we can use? Thank you so much for sharing! <3

12. Patrick says:

When we were kids, my Mum would get us involved in making what she called rose perfume using the same basic techniques as described here. Quite interesting for inquisitive kids like me. The scent was intoxication as I fondly recall.

13. Patrick says:

My Mum used the same basic technique as described here with petals from her burgeoning 'Climbing Peace' rose. The rose framed our front door landing quite beautifully.

14. Sharla says:

I live in Alberta, Canada. The Wild Rose of Alberta is the famous "rose" here that grows like a weed, I can't get rid of it in my yard. It is what is called Rosa acicularis, you listed Rosa Rugosa. Am I able to use the roses here, or should it be that particular species you listed?

15. Anonymous says:

My big pink tea rose buds are getting rained on RIGHT NOW. The blooms never seem to last through a rain (wilty!) so I think it would be very clever of me to go ahead and harvest them to bring them inside and add…hot water. πŸ™ thanks for the recipe.

16. Becki says:

I wonder if, when this is used in a cream, if it lasts longer than a month or so before becoming rancid.

17. haikuflower says:

Oh this is a pretty post. The pictures are wonderful as is the topic. I wish I had roses, and I must grow some. I look forward to seeing your cream recipes!

18. Leila Chekir says:

Hi! How many flower petals you put in it you would say? (To be efficient) I would like to try it!

19. This was such a lovely post! Your blog is definitely one of of my favorites πŸ™‚

20. Christine says:

Hi. In the last set of pictures, it shows the pink rose lotion, a clear gel-like substance, and the rose water. What is the clear gel stuff?

• lovelygreens says:

Hi Christine! The white cream in the glass pot is another type of lotion that I made with the rose water. I don’t have the recipe online but will see about sharing it.

21. Anonymous says:

Was just wondering how long rose water will last? If I was to make a large batch would it be safe to store for the winter?

• lovelygreens says:

There aren’t any preservatives in this recipe so no it wouldn’t last longer than a month or so (max!) in the fridge. Idea: try freezing it? I haven’t tried it before but it may work!

22. […] (2g) White Kaolin Clay 1/8 tsp (0.25g) French Rose Clay 1 tsp Plain Yogurt 1/4 tsp (1g) Rose Water or make it yourself 10 drops Rosehip Seed oil 1 drop Sandalwood Essential oil 1 drop Rose Essential oil 1 drop […]

23. Shelly says:

Could peony be used for this? Nothing beats their smell:)

24. Jenny says:

Am so happy to discover this new and amazing tips πŸ˜‰ on natural beauty !!
    Sorry for my English French girlπŸ˜„.

25. Betty says:

This can also be used in culinary ways. Substitute this for vanilla, using twice as much as the vanilla that is called for. Great in white cakes especially.