How to Make a Sea Glass Candle

sea-glass-craft-project1

Not counting the wonderful hours you can spend collecting sea glass on the beach, this diy project takes all of about ten minutes to complete. I thought of the idea when noticing how pretty the glass I found while beach combing was when held to the sun. Sandwiching the sea glass between two pieces of clear glass, such as two glasses, allows light from a candle to shine through and illuminate a dark room with softly coloured light.

Use beach glass to make a simple yet beautiful candle votive - no glue or tools required! #candle

The glasses I used were an old tea light glass and a squat Kilner/Mason jar that had lost its lid. You probably have a couple of glasses in your home that could work for this project but if not, look for second-hand items at your local charity and thrift shops.

Use your choice of sea glass to fill the space between but personally I decided on sticking with the lighter and brighter pieces since the idea was to place a small tea light in the centre. The flame from a tea light isn’t quite strong enough to shine through my darker pieces so I’m saving those ones for another project.

Essentially, all you do is place one glass inside the other, making sure that they allow for at least a centimeter of space between, then fill the space with glass. No glue, tools, or any other equipment is needed and when you’re finished you have a beautiful and handmade votive that you can enjoy in your own home or give as a gift. Easy isn’t it?

What I also really like about my design is that it’s easy to either change the sea glass design or take your pieces out for a wash should they get dusty. Since there aren’t any pieces glued in place you can literally dump the inner parts out, wash and rearrange as wanted, and you’re back in business with a fresh new design. Easy, fun, quick, creative, and beautiful…what else could you ask for in a rainy day project?

Tanya

Passionate about DIY projects, edible gardening and natural beauty products, Tanya makes everything from handmade soap to home and garden projects. She shares about how you can do it too on her blog, Lovely Greens.

Related Posts
Sweet Peas are the quintessential English Cottage Garden flower. They're easy to grow and produce masses of deeply fragrant blossoms. Here are some tips on growing them in either containers or in the garden.
Preserve the memory of a beach visit and the wet look of sea glass in this diy project for garden stepping stones.

1. Dc says:

What a good idea. I picked up lots of sea glass on the Isle of Wight many years ago but can't seem to find them:(

2. Dani says:

Wonderful!

Won't you please pin it on my DIY recycled glass projects board.

I'm trying to amass idea's in order to teach the underprivileged ladies in the nearby village in the not to distant future how to recycle glass and potentially make some much needed money for their households whilst simultaneously saving glass from going to landfill.

The more recycled glass jar / bottle idea's I can amass the more the project is likely to succeed. :)

Thanks Tanya.

3. I love how beautiful & spa-like the light aqua colored sea glass looks. A few years ago, I purchased several different sized glass cylinder candle holders. I had a very large wooden bowl that I kept on my coffee table and I wanted to have a candle holder in the center surrounded by things like seashells or pine cones depending on the season.When I took the glass out to wash it I noticed that one fit nicely inside the other leaving a 1/2" space between the inner & outer cylinders. That caused me to start thinking what I could fill that space with that was decorative and still allowed the candle light to show. I've used coffee beans, buttons, leaves, acorns & vintage postcards. At Christmas time I filled the space with fresh cranberries & sprigs of greenery floating in water, peppermint candy or jingle bells. Valentines was red & pink M&Ms. I love your project because it allows you to use your imagination, is inexpensive, you can use items you already have, it's quick, no messy clean-up and the finished project makes a big impact. These candle holders would look great in any room, but I will be hanging some on a deck & in my guest bathroom as a nightlight with battery operated tea lights.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful project.

4. CJ says:

It's lovely Tanya. I've got a jar of sea glass, so I might give this a go.

5. mumasu says:

Another great idea, Tanya :)

6. Tanya Walton says:

This is a great idea Tanya. I don't live near a beach and have never come across 'sea glass' but I guess anything would work, such as the worry beads and such. I will store this away in my mind for gifts in the future!!

7. Lorna says:

What a beautiful and simple look

8. Anonymous says:

Love this, I have some from Cape May N.J., that my sister gave me, I also make jewelry with it at http://ARsjewelry.ShopHandmade.com

9. Anonymous says:

Wow! This is great!! It also made me think of putting glass beads in the same type of project. I have beach glass so I will be doing the project as you instructed, but I also have lots(and lots!) of clear glass beads because I make beaded jewelry. Wait til I tell my beading friends about your tutorial! Thanks