Garden projects using sticks and twigs that you can DIY with just a few tools and garden waste. Make everything from garden artwork to trellises and garden arches using a material that you can find in the woods or in your garden.
This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You can spend a fortune kitting out your garden with edging, trellises, artwork, plant supports, and other garden features. Fortunately, you can make a lot of garden projects using sticks and twigs. That’s right! When you next prune your trees, bushes, grapevines, or raspberry canes, set the pieces aside for some of these ideas. If you have willow growing on your land even better since it can be used to create all sorts of attractive and useful features for the garden.
If you’d love to have that cottage garden look while not spending a lot of money then this collection of more than thirty creative garden projects using sticks and twigs is sure to give you loads of ideas. The ones I have in mine are the first few and include the willow garden obelisks, the raspberry cane garden edging, and even a willow wattle hurdle for blocking the wind.
Techniques to Use Sticks and Twigs in the Garden
Each of the projects below has a link to their source and may include instructions on how to recreate them. If in doubt, consider making a project using your own method. Some common techniques for these garden projects include:
- Traditional Wattle weaving – here’s how including a video
- Three-rod Wale weaving as in this garden obelisk
- You can make many newly cut sticks bendier by soaking them in water
- Binding with garden string
- Gluing together with wood glue
- Nailing or screwing pieces together. Make sure to use nails that won’t rust unless you want that effect.
1. Stick & String Lattice trellis. All you need to do to make this plant support is bind twigs together with garden string. I share how in the video you see above.
2. Woven Garden Edging using pruned raspberry canes, though you could use willow or other bendy sticks
3. Make a DIY Garden Obelisk using hazel or willow sticks
4. Use hazel or birch sticks to create a bean archway, wigwam, or other growing support.
5. Create a Natural Wood Raised Garden Bed using cut branches and old sticks
6. This Willow Sweet Pea Arch was made by bending and weaving sticks together
7. Make Twig Plant Markers by peeling bark off small sticks and twigs
8. This stunning Forest Walk Arbor is made with small tree trunks and old sticks
9. Use a combination of sticks and twigs to make Nature’s Birdhouse
10. Weave sticks together to create this Star & Diamond Stick Lattice
11. Build a Simple Stick Fence by nailing sticks to posts
12. Weave a Willow Tomato Cage with a bundle of willow sticks
13. Create a DIY Wattle Fence with hazel sticks for the uprights and weave
14. Create a Living Willow Playhouse by weaving living willow sticks together and pushing the ends into the soil.
15. How stunning is this handmade Espalier Garden Bench
16. Make a Wooden Tomato Support by creating a woven mesh teepee made of sticks
17. Twist sticks into a circle to make a Peony Branch Support
18. Bend sticks around a plant to create this Globe Plant Support
19. Woven Wattle Garden Divider made with sticks woven into a wooden frame
20. Weave a Willow Bird Nest with thin willow rods and sticks
21. Willow is woven around sticks pushed into the soil to create this Woven Circular Raised Bed
22. This whimsical Willow Flower Support is made with willow but you could use other sticks and twigs such as freshly cut bamboo.
23. The creator of this Giant Garden Art Bird Nest used sticks she found on the curb
24. If you have enough sticks, you could create this Garden Pavilion
25. Use vines and old sticks to build this Rustic Branch Obelisk
26. The creator of this Simple Dividing Fence pushed sticks into the ground and wove smaller sticks and twigs between them.
27. The beauty of natural sticks and branches is displayed in Full Moon Stick Lattice
28. When it comes to plant supports, you can’t go wrong with an easy to make Rustic Plant Support
29. Though this looks like it’s made of sticks, it’s climbers growing up a white lattice
30. Bend sticks or willow rods to create this gothic-inspired Arched Flower Support
31. Nothing by naturally woven sticks went into making this Willow Pea Dome
32. Sticks and twigs can make great cat deterrents for your veggie patch
33. Weave sticks at an angle to recreate this DIY Diamond Patterned Twig Lattice
34. Create a fancy DIY Wooden Arbor using thick sticks and straight branches
35. Create a Runner Bean Arbor with thick branches and sticks woven together to form the roof. Here are more bean supports ideas
36. This garden project using sticks and twigs helps to create a wind block in the garden