Creative garden features you can DIY for free using twigs, sticks, and branches. Ideas include trellises, plant supports, and garden artwork
You can spend a fortune kitting out your garden with edging, artwork, plant supports, and other garden features. Fortunately, there’s a lot of projects that you can DIY. Better yet, you can do-it-yourself with free materials like sticks and branches. When you’re next pruning your trees, bushes, grapevines, or raspberry canes, set the pieces aside for some of these projects. If you have willow growing on your land even better since it can be used to create all sorts of attractive and useful features for the garden.
Each of the projects below has a link to their source and many include instructions on how to recreate them. If in doubt, consider making a project using your own method. Some common techniques for these garden projects include:
- Traditional Wattle weaving – here’s how including a video
- You can make many newly cut sticks bendier by soaking them in water
- Binding with garden string
- Gluing together with wood glue
- Nailing or screwing pieces together. Make sure to use nails that won’t rust unless you want that effect.