This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make it with natural clays and therapeutic oils
Last weekend I invited a friend to come around for a night of movies, mocktails, and diy beauty pampering. We put on a film, nibbled on healthy snacks, and sipped fruity non-alcoholic drinks poured into wine glasses – somehow it made them so much more fun than if they were just served in tumblers. Being a producer of handmade beauty products I also have all the fixings for making face masks and that’s exactly how we rounded off the evening.
My skin was in need of some TLC and this natural yoghurt face mask helped to purify and brighten it up. Aside from yoghurt, t’s made with gentle clays, rose water, and a mix of therapeutic and scented oils. I chose them to cleanse while not being over drying and the oils are ideal for sensitive and mature skin.
The benefits of face masks
Cleansing face masks are primarily made of clay, which has incredible drawing powers. Mixed with liquid and applied onto the face, clay works to pull oil, dirt, and dead cells from your skin, leaving it smooth and clean. When you use liquids that also have skin-beneficial properties then the mask can help to hydrate, soothe, scent, regenerate skin cells, and promote a healthy glow.
If you use a mask once a week it will help pull oil and dirt from your pores without over-drying it. This one is a pretty pink one too — perfect for a girly evening.
The ingredients in this recipe help in these ways
- White Kaolin Clay – a standard clay used for normal skin types
- French Rose Clay – clay that is a bit more gentle than white and will be less drying. If you have extremely dry or sensitive skin, you may choose to just use the Rose Clay rather than mix it with White.
- Yogurt – contains lactic acid which is a natural and very gently alpha-hydroxy acid. That is, it promotes skin cell regeneration
- Rose Water – a gentle and rose-scented astringent and toner
- Rosehip Seed oil – especially suitable for mature skin, this oil is packed with Retinol (Vitamin A) and helps heal and moisturise aging or damaged skin
- Sandalwood essential oil – a moisurising oil that also helps reduce acne
- Rose essential oil – a beautifully scented oil that tones and brightens your skin
- Frankincense essential oil – an oil used to help reduce the visible signs of aging
Rose & Yogurt Clay Mask
Makes one mask
Suitable for normal to dry skin and for those with stressed and/or mature skin
- 1 tsp (2g) White Kaolin Clay
- 1/8 tsp (0.25g) French Rose Clay
- 1 tsp Plain Yogurt
- 1/4 tsp (1g) Rose Water or make it yourself
- 10 drops Rosehip Seed oil
- 1 drop Sandalwood Essential oil (optional)
- 1 drop Rose Essential oil (optional)
- 1 drop Frankincense Essential oil (optional)
To make your mask, blend the clays with the yogurt and rose water then add the essential oils. Mix thoroughly and apply to your face and neck. Leave on for ten minute or until it’s dry and begins to crack then rinse it off with warm water and a gentle cleanser. If you’d like to use an extremely gentle cleanser, try my recipe for a copy-cat version of Lush’s Angels on Bare Skin.
Pat your skin dry with a clean towel and apply a light moisturiser if you wish. And if you have any product left over, refrigerate and use it within a week.