How to make Kahlua – Everyone’s Favourite Coffee Liqueur | Lovely Greens

How to make Kahlua – Everyone’s Favourite Coffee Liqueur

How to make Kahlua – Everyone’s Favourite Coffee Liqueur #coffee

I love flavoured liqueurs…Baileys, Tia Maria and Kahlua are all among my favourites. The only thing I don’t like about these creamy, tipsy, girly drinks is their price – they’re all about £14 a bottle now. Five years ago I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid as I popped them into my trolley and swished my way over to the till. But times have changed and sometimes if I want to enjoy a bit of luxury without feeling guilty then I have to figure out how to make it myself – and on a budget.

What I’ve found out is that most food and drink can be made easily, cheaply and a heck of a lot more wholesome than anything you can find in the shops. Now I’m not going to proclaim that a boozy treat like Kahlua could ever be wholesome but it is so easy to make that a five year old…err 18 year old…could do it. And by varying the ingredients slightly, you can customise it to suit your own taste – more or less sugary, alcoholic, vanilla or even coffee flavoured. Once prepared, Kahula can be mixed with milk and ice for a delicious and boozy kind of iced latte – I’m currently enjoying the one pictured above so please excuse me for any spelling mistakes 😉 You could even go the full mile and make your own Kahlua, Baileys and Grand Marnier and layer them for probably the best B-52 you’ve ever MADE. Or why not plan on preparing a few bottles in time for a party? In any case you’ll be saving quite a bit of money while having a load of fun!

Homemade Kahlua

Makes almost 3 – 75cl bottles

4 cups Boiling Water
2 cups Dark Brown Sugar
2 cups White Sugar
1/2 cup Instant Coffee – Regular or Decaf depending on your preference
1 Vanilla Bean
3 cups Vodka – this is about an entire 70cl bottle
3 clean and sterilised bottles – old wine bottles with screw tops are perfect

1. But your sugars into a heat-proof bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Stir the mixture until all the sugar is dissolved then add your coffee. Stir again until this is dissolved then cover your bowl and allow to cool until it reaches room temperature. 2. Once cooled, slice your vanilla pod and scrape the gooey insides out with a knife and place it in the bowl. Pop the rest of the beans into your bottles. 3. Pour the vodka into the mix and stir gently. Then, using a funnel, pour the coffee liquor into the bottles and seal. If any of the black vanilla is stuck to the bottom of the bowl just spoon it out and into the bottles as well. Store your homemade Kahlua in a dark place and ideally you’ll want to wait about two to three weeks before drinking it. This is to give the flavours, especially the vanilla, time to meld before drinking it. But if you absolutely can’t wait that long it’s fine to drink immediately 😉 PS – Remember how I mentioned that a bottle of Kahlua costs about £14 at the shop? If you make it at home you end up spending about £4.50 per bottle.

How to make Kahlua – Everyone’s Favourite Coffee Liqueur #coffee

The sugar placed in the bowl while the kettle is heating up the water

How to make Kahlua – Everyone’s Favourite Coffee Liqueur #coffee

With the sugar now dissolved in the water, you mix in the coffee granules

How to make Kahlua – Everyone’s Favourite Coffee Liqueur #coffee

Once the sugar-coffee-water has cooled, you split and scrape your vanilla bean into the mix

How to make Kahlua – Everyone’s Favourite Coffee Liqueur #coffee

Then you pour in your vodka and funnel the mix into bottles

Article Tags :
Tanya

Passionate about DIY projects, edible gardening and natural beauty products, Tanya makes everything from handmade soap to home and garden projects. She shares about how you can do it too on her blog, Lovely Greens.

Related Posts

1. Jo says:

Once again, home made costs so little compared to shop bought. That looks so easy to make too. I'm afraid that I don't care much for any alcohol other than wine, or perhaps a half of lager on a very hot day.

2. That's brilliant! We had far too many strawberries last year, arrive all at the same time, so we froze them. People told us that would spoil them…..joke's on them, we were making strawberry daquiri's for my birthday!

3. becky3086 says:

Very interesting post! I really can't wait to try this.

4. Nelly says:

Thanks for the recipe. Cannot wait to try it!

5. Of course the reason the shop bought drinks are so expensive is the Government tax placed on every bottle-the ingredients themselves are a small part of the cost.
    Just to make you all jealous, I have actually made Baileys in the Baileys factory! But I can't tell you the recipe!

6. I wonder if it works with moonshine?

7. I am afraid that coffee liqueur doesn't appeal in any way, shape or form. Sorry Tanya, you are on your own on this one. I can remember Christmasses past when my Aunt was always trying to press a Tia Maria on me – no-thank-you!

8. Oh wow. My booze intake has risen since my son started Catholic school. all the fundraisers seem to involve it. Before Christmas we had a cocktail crawl, going from house to house, each one with a country theme. I made my chilli verde canapes for the Mexico house. Anyway, I couldn't remember the name of my favourite cocktail, it's the B52!!! I also got a bit of a taste for Irish coffee at the Church Christmas fair too. I think you have just made my day.

9. Philippa says:

One of John's favourite drinks has Kahlua in so will definately be trying this out. Never even thought of making it ourselves – thank you!
    Philippa

10. Jo – Do you drink iced lattes? If so, you'll love this recipe. It's really not all that strong once you mix it half and half with milk.

Mad Kiwi Bird – Sounds delicious! Freezing fruit does tend to break down its structure but if you're planning on using it for cooking or blending it actually doesn't matter – and anyway it enhances the flavour. I always freeze my bananas before using them in baking these days and I do the same for berries as well.

Becky – Let me know how you get on :)

Nelly – You're very welcome…enjoy :)

Liquineer – This is very true about alcohol taxes/duty. And am VERY jealous about your experience of making 'Real' Baileys. Lucky you!

Sunnybrook – You should try it! I'll bet it will work just fine.

Elaine – To each their own 😉

Green Lady – Whoo hoo! Am glad to help :) And it sounds like those church ladies know how to party! Haha

Philippa – Am really glad to give you the idea and hope that John enjoys his homemade Kahlua :)

11. I learn something new every time I come to your blog Tanya.

12. Jo says:

I don't drink coffee in any form, Tanya, though I don't mind the coffee creams in a box of choccies, lol. Well you can't win us all, can you?

13. Oh this sounds excellent!! Can't wait to try it out for myself :)

14. Yum! I didn't know you could make this home made! Great gift idea!!

15. Shaheen says:

This is perhaps my favourite liquer of choice, but for a while I have had to walk by it at the supermarkets as the price has been outwith my present income. I so appreciate this recipe and cannot wait to try it – will do once I have settled into my new home in Wales. Thank you for sharing Tanya.

16. Sandy says:

Tanya,

I recently found your blog and totally enjoy reading it. Thank you
    for this recipe, the Kahlua will make a great Christmas gift.

17. Mumra says:

If you can get Al Kool or 180 proof alcohol there will be a purer taste. Also I think some real coffee beans would be a nice touch.

18. Anonymous says:

How long will this last?

• Not long…the bottle is usually empty within a week or so 😉

I'd say about three months though it probably could last much longer. You'll actually find similar recipes claiming a year, two years, or indefinitely but without evidence I'd be conservative on shelf-life due to the water content and lack of preservatives.

19. Anonymous says:

I'm going to have to try this! Thanks :)

20. not sure where I would find vanilla bean.. how much vanilla abstract would suffice in it's place?

21. Tanya, I happened to find your lovely blog and love it! Especially the Kahlua recipe. Do you happen to like Amaretto Di Sarrono? I have a recipe that is awesomely wonderful! I and spouse only drink the very expensive Amaretto but I too have the recipe that you are unable to tell the difference. Let me know if you want it…Elaine…echristian851@gmail.com

22. Making homemade Kahlua looks very tempting! Do you know if the original is made with vodka? I always liked Kahlua, but not other drinks with vodka. I'm wondering if it would taste about the same to substitute rum or whiskey in your recipe, or if those are too strong-tasting.

23. Anonymous says:

Made mine a few weeks ago, found some cool bottles in dollar store that are intended for olive oil! I think the Mexican variety is made with rum, I used a combination of vodka & brandy! I recommend giving it a shake every few days to keep it infused. Can hardley wait to try it. ( I did try a taste because all I made did not fit into the amount of bottles I bought and now know it is good to elet the vanilla infuse!)

24. Wolf says:

Finally found the bean all across town, And just completed 2 bottles and one cup. Wine type bottles with rubber glass stopper. Used a Caribbean spiced rum since I was using it for white russians and my morning coffee I did not see the need for the vodka.. Now off to a dark cool room for three weeks. And onto the Baileys directions.. :) Why stop now! LOL