Lavender & Honey Cookie Recipe
Edible flowers add a taste dimension that is still relatively new to many. With flavours from peppery, to cucumber-like, to deeply floral, flowers like Lavender can be used to add colour to dishes but also unusual and pleasant flavour. This recipe is no different and combines the honey-sweet and buttery flavour of the cookie base with the aromatic flavour of lavender buds. It’s a recipe that will remind you of summer, when bees are buzzing and the sweet scent of lavender wafts in with the breeze.
Make these cookies for a special occasion like Mothers Day, a birthday, or a girlie gathering. They could also be packaged up in a pretty box and given as a beautiful handmade gift. If you grow your own Lavender it can make them even more special to the lucky recipient.
Honey & Lavender Cookies
makes about 36 cookies
⅔ cup / 170g melted Butter
1 cup / 215g white Sugar
¼ cup / 75g Honey
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 cups/ 300g Flour
2 tsp. Baking soda (Bicarbonate)
½ tsp. Salt
Coarse grained sugar, for rolling
2 Tbsp. Lavender buds, fresh or dried
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C (165°C for convection ovens)
2. Beat the melted butter, honey, and sugar until smooth.
3. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well incorporated then fold in the flour, baking soda, and salt.
4. The dough will be very soft so refrigerate for at least thirty minutes and until it has firmed up.
5. Take 1.-2 Tbsp sized pieces of dough and shape it into balls. Flatten them with the palm of your hand and then roll in the coarse grained sugar, coating the whole cookie. Sprinkle the tops with lavender buds and gently press them into the cookie.
6. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 10 minutes or until the edges are crispy and light brown in color. They’ll still be soft when you take them out so let them cool to room temperature before eating. Enjoy ~